Thursday, August 13, 2009

SHOW US YOUR LIFE FRIDAY - Favorite Vacation Spot

A girl who's blog I frequent has been doing this for many months and the topics are always fun and interesting to me so I finally decided I would hop on the "Show Us Your Life Friday" bandwagon.

This week's topic is "Favorite Vacation Spot." For a quick trip I love to go to Cincinatti, OH but my most favorite trip that I've been on was to Oahu, Hawaii. Maybe that's because I got engaged there or maybe it was just because it was fantastically beautiful in a way that I'd never before experienced. Whatever the reason, it's somewhere I am dying to visit again someday and so I suppose that makes it my favorite vacation spot.

Here's a shot when we were first arriving. The only unfortunate thing about these pictures is that I only had a video camera as a digital camera at the time and so they aren't of the highest quality, nor are they nearly bright and vivid enough to show all the true beauty.
Upon arrival, as is their custom, we were given beautiful live leis that smelled divine. Our hotel did not have an ocean view or even a good view (it was an alley) but that's what made it affordable for us. However it was right in the middle of Waikiki and a 2 block walk to the beach. Wonderful!
On our first full day we went on a submarine ride which was really interesting and beautiful with all the blue light filtering through. Later we went shopping and bought some Hawaiian attire to wear to the luau, as recommended to us by the locals. The luau we saw was fantastic and I would go again to the same one in a heartbeat.

















It was a wednesday when we got engaged and really one of the most fun days of my life. We started out by renting a car to drive around the island. We got a convertible, something I highly recommend! It was the most beautiful drive. We stopped at the Dole Pineapple Plantation and went through the maze which was fun and really romantic. We went to the best pizza place I've ever been, Pizza Bob's. Then we went to Turtle Bay and saw my favorite animal ever, the sea turtle, swimming right there in nature. It was awesome. I mean, simply amazing. (The picture with the rocks is Tyler scouting for a big turtle. The encounter we video taped.) We went to Sunset Beach which is fantastically beautiful and the water couldn't have been more clear. After that was off to Pali Lookout for the proposal fiasco. Ha.

Pali Lookout is a beautiful mountain lookout that lets you see a great deal of the island. It's amazing and would've been super romantic had it not been for the unbelievable winds! Tyler kept trying to get me to stay a little longer but I kept telling him the wind was hurting me and so I started walking back down to the car. He looked awfully pouty and when I asked him what was wrong he said, "I just thought that would've been a really good place to propose." Ha. The parking lot worked just fine, too. Ha.
The rest of the experience was equally fantastic from walking Waikiki at night, to the dinner cruise, to souvenir shopping in the international market before we went home. I really can not wait til we have an opportunity to go back!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Looks like so much fun! I'd like to visit Hawaii someday... right now, my kids are little and they LOVE camping... and... I love to see them happy!

Thankyou for visiting me! :)

Jessica said...

This is why I'm going back to work. I love to travel and can't wait to show Isaac the world. Plus it will be nice to have the house paid for in 15 years. ps I highly recommend Bar Harbor, Maine.

Your Favorite Redhead said...

after doing this blog hop i saw some lovely pictures of sleepy bear dunes in lake michigan. i totally want to go there. we'll still be traveling even without me working. that's not something on our "things we don't mind giving up" list.

SnoWhite said...

Hawaii... oh, that would be fun someday (especially after seeing so much of the beauty there by watching LOST!).

thanks for stopping by and for your comment!

Erika said...

I couldn't agree with you more...HAWAII IS AMAZING! Everything is so beautiful and vibrant! I have hopes of getting to take our little family there someday. I am a bit disturbed and saddened when you say the sea turtle is your favorite animal...I thought I as a manatee was your favorite :p.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Looks like so much fun....I enjoyed your pictures.

Malissa P. said...

Hey, thanks for stopping in at my blog...The Oregon Coast is "fantastically Beautiful!" I love it and appreciate it so. It is not usually a warm and sunny beach but the views, sounds and smells more than make up for it.
Thanks for sharing about Hawaii...would you visit the same island or check our a different one??? Turtle Bay...oh I so want to go there. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting. Redheads are a rare and precious gem! We have a couple of beauties in our family and I love them dearly!
Blessings

Erin said...

Love the pictures, but love the inspiration for your blog name even more.